Thursday, February 25, 2010

Let it go, let it go, let it go

Thanks to several of you who have written to say “update puhhhhhlease!” Thanks for checking on me and encouraging me to write here. At least I know I have 5 or 6 readers.


So two months to the day after my last chemo treatment, it happened. Yep, my eyelashes fell out. The final indignity (it BETTER be the final one) of this crazy disease. So I rushed to Private Edition and got some fake ones from the lovely Victoria. She has her own experience with breast cancer so it was fate that we should meet.  They are cool and all wigged out with the lashes I just totally feel like a drag queen!  Fun,  but a lot of work.  I am happy to report they are growing back quickly, as is my hair! (Um when did I get gray hair?) so you will probably see me soon sporting my (extremely!) short “do”. I am so over the hats, scarf, wig et al. I know, I know .... it’s just hair.  Here's what my eyelashes looked like long ago...
                                          Brown, 8
It remains rather cold here in good ole Nashvegas.  We have had a few snow days - lots of togetherness this winter! The joy of a snow day - hunkering down with the kids, drinking hot chocolate, playing outside til you can’t feel your fingertips, cooking fattening foods, and just taking a break from everyday life - work and school primarily. Checking out, so to speak. This time on my hands got me thinking about always ruminating about the past and the future and not enjoying the present. I am trying to teach myself to get in the moment, especially as a parent of children who, for now, still enjoy my company.   If I have learned anything from this “opportunity” of cancer, it is to live for right now - who knows what tomorrow will bring? sounds SO canned I know. We say that to our kids from the beginning, we hear it endlessly- carpe diem! But what do we really mean? It is hard to describe and even harder to put into action . I am trying trying trying to let things go - let things go that don’t matter or that you can’t take back. The latest tween drama, the latest passive aggressive comment from someone you love, the latest failed attempt at staying in your daily weight watchers point range, the latest rejection from a client you thought would never leave you. Such a huge struggle for control!  I want to take control of my kids’ happiness, my husband’s health and stress, my work-life success, and so much more. All this struggle takes me out of the here and now. The Monopoly game, the spontaneous dancing to Party in the USA in the living room, the report on baseball practice. How then do you quiet that voice in your head?  Well, I think my more “recovered” friends and confidantes would say you take it one day at a time and work on acceptance. Ahhh- !  Accept the things you cannot change. I have heard it before. Where do you find the wisdom to know the difference? I do not pretend to know the answers but I do resolve to work on it. I am enacting some changes in my life to let go of some old stuff, and have a fresh start.  Some changes to set myself up for a life that is challenging, exciting, but ultimately more peaceful and more full of joy.  More on that next week!
Jamie, 12 next Thursday. Wow.
                             
 mini-me, Susanna 5
Back to the darn cancer thing - I will have my last reconstruction surgery on March 25th after Spring Break. I cannot wait.  It will be an eventful spring - now if the weather would just warm up!!!  I remain, as ever, grateful for all of you who have supported and encouraged me through all of this. I will try and not wait so long to write again!
(thanks to Wiff Harmer for pictures - www.wiffharmer.com)
I wanted to share with you this promo for Kelly Corrigan’s new book Lift.
Four friends emailed this to me - I love this girl and can’t wait to read the book. If you have not read The Middle Place, go straight to the bookstore and buy it. Let me know what you think!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC3UBalNkFA

13 comments:

  1. first, thank you for the update.
    second, you know you...don't let others define who you are, how you feel, etc. hair is hair, but it was your hair. i believe a friend once told me the same thing!
    third, i am very proud of you. damned cancer, but the life lessons are going to take you a long, long way sweet bk!
    for quite some time i have told you how much i listen to what you say and how you say it. i watch you and am learning from you. i thank you for being my teacher when you didn't even sign up for it, nor had a clue you were doing it. talk about an under paid job!
    your words again have given me cause to stop, think and re-evaluate. (normally i just think while moving a hundred miles an hour and continuing in my same pattern - smile!)
    love you girl...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7 readers.

    Great thing about life is we are always looking for answers...and each day brings us closer to the answer or, in most cases, MORE QUESTIONS! Here's to the "opportunity" to have more days to answer and ask.

    I always used to say that if "bald" was the style, I would be the first to grab the razor! I am sure you don't feel that way, but I bet you look awesome.

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey BK,

    Awesome post that once again calls me to remember what's really important. We totally take things for granted on a daily basis. I need to stop and cherish the little moments more. Thanks for the reminder.

    And I'm so glad to hear how you're doing. I'll be praying for you to come out of your surgery with flying colors.

    Thanks again & I hope to see you soon . . .
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy & Kathy - thanks so much for your comments! You are too kind. Amy - one note I got today about the blog was "less questions please, more answers" Wish I had them! Just trying to resolve to ask the hard questions more often. You guys are the best to keep up with me! thank you!
    BK

    ReplyDelete
  5. BK, i totally understand where you are. When Kevin had his heart attack 3 years ago it pulled the rug out from under us. It was like everything you went about doing in your daily routine suddenly had no importance or at least a completely different ranking on the priority list. I know it changed me. Coming so close to losing the one I had planned to spend the rest of my life with, and we were just getting to the good part!

    What I learned... you know how they say stop and smell the roses? Well I say, stop and smell the children! Wrap your arms around them and get down into that neck really good!! Stop and smell, every lovely stinky part, even after baseball practice. Stop and listen, every delicious story! Stop and look, every sweet smile, every mischievous grin, every inch they grow and yes every last eyelash!! Because time, it is going by entirely to fast.
    Which brings me to my point..... we moved on to this street when my boys were the ages of yours.... and not a day goes by that I don't miss them being here with me still.... they grew up.....so this winter I took the libertty of enjoying your kids.... watching them slide down the hills in the snow, laugh, play football in the front yard.... even with little sister. I don't know if you are aware that I am so enjoying Claire and your kids from afar. But I am!!

    Yesterday I was outside with the dogs and Rob and Glenn arrived home for the day. Rob leaps out of the car and runs around to my side. "Mrs. Penney," he yells from across the street, "I don't have any homework!" I yelled back "Alright!!! yeah!!!" He was so excited and it was just a little kid moment but I enjoyed every second of it. Like I said stop and smell the children! ;-)
    By the way, news, we are going to be grandparents. My oldest Aaron and his wife Trisha are expecting in October..... you see what I mean ....we are just getting to the good part!!!
    So glad you are doing better.....there is so much to look forward to. My love to you and your beautiful family, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Patty! Thank you for the reminder to stop and breathe them in - you are so right. They grow up over night! Congratulations on your impending grandchild. you are really getting to the good stuff now!
    Love to you - BK

    ReplyDelete
  7. BK, I only met you once sitting in that room with all of those wonderful envelopes and invitations but your warm smile and ability to laugh at our silly "mistakes" made me think I will always be happy to see you whether at school or buying wine (i became a fan at your suggestion and can't wait to go over to meet your husband...the boys do know each other.) I am so sorry to know that you have gone through so much this year but obviously my dear, you are no worse for the wear! You look gorgeous and the twinkle in your eye only makes me think that you have figured it out kid! I will stay in touch on the blog--everyone was right--don't stop posting! Hug, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for your kind words Monica. It is always so great to make a new friend, and I knew that day we met that I had. Look forward to keeping up on FB and at school. Hope to see you soon! - BK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the update. Eyelashes.....you are right. We need them fake or real to catch the tears of joy and pain that this world throws at us. So, to lose them is properly said "the final indignity." I hate cancer. But, I love getting to know you better and how your spirit is shining through. I can't wait to read about your positive changes that you talk about for next weeks post. Out with the negative, long live the positive. -Liza

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks Liza. One of my favorite first things I do in the morning is read Style Blueprint.com ! My favorite material item is also my portrait of my boys. I can just sit on the sofa and look at it. Mary Hartong does a great job and I am saving my pennies for one of Susanna next year!
    thanks for your support and inspiring writing!
    -BK

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! I am SO HAPPY! Now, if only you had included a photo of your cute little head. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha Ha C
    you will see it soon enough... it is amazing how small heads are with little to no hair...!
    thanks for your tech advice. I am going to embed some video next time!

    ReplyDelete