Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Gratitude and Attitude: What One Woman is Packing for Her Quick Trip Through Cancerville.

Hello. Welcome to my blog. I’m new to this, so bear with me. I’m Barbara Keith. Not Barbara. BK to my friends. And yes I do go by both names. And here’s the deal: I have breast cancer. I am healthy. I am invincible. I am 42. (Just barely, by the way.) And yes, cancer stinks. (Plenty of you can attest to that.) And no one has been more shocked than I was just a few weeks ago to hear the news.
I have been thinking over this entry for a couple of weeks. I hope I can say what I need and want to say, and not bring you down or wear you out. I think you are probably reading this because you know me. You may know me really well, or just a little, or maybe you know somebody who knows me. That’s cool. I am glad you are here. Those of you who know me well know I am not shy. I don’t mind being center of attention and I am not a super private person, but going public and “putting it out there” about all this has been particularly hard. Moving out of Healthyville is a BIG leap. I have always lived there and never even been on a vacation to Cancerville. Now I am taking up residence, temporarily.

Here are the facts for those who are interested: I have a 1.8 cm. tumor surrounded by 2 cm of calcifications. It was discovered in a routine mammogram. And yes, I can feel it (and so have many many doctors in Nashville). But no, I didn’t know what I was looking for so I did not “palpate” it before I knew it was there. I have no family history of breast cancer whatsoever. If you know cancer-speak, my cancer is hormone positive and Her2Neu negative. This is good. Right now my cancer is being called a Stage 1. This could change once the pathology comes back after surgery. Hopefully it won’t. I will probably have chemo just because I have a borderline “intermediate” vs. “low” grade tumor. I am having a bilateral mastectomy by Dr. Ingrid Meszoely of the Vanderbilt Breast Center and reconstruction by Dr. Jason Wendel. Surgery is Thursday, September 3rd. Scary stuff, but these are the professionals and this is not their first rodeo. I have confidence in them and my case is straight forward. One nurse called it “generic” breast cancer. Love that. Never thought I was someone who wanted to be average...until now. And this is also a fact: I will be fine. I will be cured, and I will die of something besides breast cancer a very long time from now.

So what about the rest of it? How I am going to get from here to there? How did I get here in the first place? There is so much to say. This is, and will continue to be, my story. And I hope my story will help someone else who has to cope with this insidious disease.

I thought I had problems, issues, and “stuff” before that fateful Friday afternoon in July sitting with a radiologist who said, “You have a very worrying mass.” WHAT? Wait. Back up! Some of you know what it feels like to hear news like that. (I hope the rest of you never do.) You’re overwhelmed by this sudden urge to travel back in time and take back all the complaints and whining. You find yourself asking why all those small things (i.e. your formerly unblemished, perfect health record) went unappreciated? Fast forward through the next couple of weeks. It all seems like a blur now, but I can tell you those were the longest two weeks in history. There was a biopsy. There was an MRI. Then there was telling my parents. That was hard. Really hard. They would trade places with me in two seconds flat. I knew that before I told them, because it’s exactly what I would do for my own children if tables were turned, if I could.

And there is saintly Richard. I am deeply loved by Richard. He has been to every appointment (we have seen no fewer than 8 doctors), and he listens patiently to all of the ranting and raving and crying that punctuates his already-stressful 60 hour work weeks. We are grieving for the life we had, but we know, also, that we are lucky.

And then there are my friends, family, and frankly, even my acquaintances. The messages, the voice mails, the emails, the offers of help and comfort are simply overwhelming. It is humbling in a way that only people who have experienced this or something similar can understand. I will never be able to say thank you enough. The word gratitude has a taken on whole new dimension for me. Oprah is big on it, and now I know why: it fills up the hole created by uncertainty and waiting and an unknown future. So thanks. That’s all I can say.

I will try and post updates after Thursday in a timely manner. Feel free to post a comment or shoot me an email. I hope I will have enough to say to make this interesting reading.

That’s all I’ve got for now. All of you who follow along with me on this detour through Cancerville, thanks. It’s good to have you along for the ride.

BK

P.S. And if you’re going to follow my blog, beware of shameless plugs for the Wine Chap. Business is going well thanks to all of you but the season (the holiday season that is) will be here before we know it, and we hope you will toast it with delicious beverages from The Wine Chap! And don’t forget to tell your friends, too.

pps Thanks to a clever friend for the title of this entry. I cannot take credit!

20 comments:

  1. BK--You are amazing!!!! Please know that you are loved by many and that we are all thinking about you. You are an inspiration to us all.
    Love you,
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg - i am the first to post!!!
    great job bk, barbara keith, not barbara.
    i am here - of course in the back seat for the ride...not a co-pilot (there will be too many fighting for that position) and obviously not the driver...but forever available to direct from the back seat - i do a pretty good job i am told from there :)
    love to you and many hugs. you know i have been praying for your entire family - as i have mentioned before - cancer not only infects the patient, so to speak, it affects the family. and we will carry all 5 of you, plus the hundreds of cousins!!!! i mean for real, you are related to almost all of fricking nashville girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BK,

    I know you don't want me to get mushy but please know I am praying for you Thursday and everyday!! You are a strong women!Love and support always!

    margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Barbara-
    I have every confidence that this time next year you will be cancer free and more wise and appreciative of life than ever! We are at that age now when we realize that this immortal life we have known for so long is no longer as it was- we are smacked in the face with the fragility of our health and our life. It can all change so quickly. I just attended a "goodbye cancer--hello 40" party for a good friend who was diagnosed last January and has now been declared cancer free- it will be the same for you.
    I am going to follow your blog- and I'm sure my mom will keep me updated too!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us and helping us all take a closer look at the important things in life that we should never take for granted!
    Nicole Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blog is brilliant - candid, inspiring, so well written. Thank you so much for sharing this with friends and scrabble buddies. xxx Barbara (NOT BM)

    ReplyDelete
  6. BK--
    Your blog is brilliant. Please know that Bim and I are ready and willing to do anything you need. We love you so much and admire your strength and candor more than you can imagine. We'll be checking in (probably more than you'd like), but, hey, that's what family is for. Love, Aunt Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Wilson's have you & your family in our thoughts & prayers.

    Continue to remain grateful & hopeful - they are very good Rxs for this type of "vacation". I know that your "Honey Bear" classmates will all be with you on this journey.

    RE: The Wine Chap - per your request we will continue to buy mass quantities of "adult beverages" from that great location (the service was good too).

    We are here for you.

    Love -

    Jimmy & Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Barbara Keith,
    Your blog is terrific. I admire your confidence and courage, I know those traits will serve you well. Good luck tomorrow I'll be praying for you. I'll be checking with Susie to see what I can do for you.
    Love Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. barbara keith,
    had no idea that you are such an incredible writer!! i am forwarding your blog to other heroes in my life. please know that all thoughts and prayers are with you tomorrow! and until i see you out on that "RED" trail in percy warner park in just a few weeks- keep on keeping on...
    xoxo.
    betsy moran (also NOT BM)

    ReplyDelete
  10. BK
    I will be following your story with great concern, interest & love. Know that the big community you have is behind you. The prayers do seem to work. Thank you thank you for sharing.

    Kim F

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara Keith,
    Your words reveal so much strength and courage. I was reminded of a quote by Georgia O'Keeffe: "I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life-and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do." You can beat this. Camille

    ReplyDelete
  12. BK,
    Incredible!!! When's the book deal? (seriously)

    We all know you are a fighter and you ARE going to defeat the "big" one with a knock-out.
    I'll be cheering for you tomorrow and the next.
    CK

    ReplyDelete
  13. BK,

    How well written. Thinking of you..thanks for sharing..will be looking soon for updates.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seeing you grabbing lunch at the Picnic today jolted me into your reality. Seeing your gorgeous smile, having clearly just come from exercising, reminded me that you're not BK with Cancer. You're BK. And we all will be your strength for you until yours returns tenfold. Prayers, strength and love to you.
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  15. Barbara Keith- You are in our thoughts and prayers here in NY. You are really an inspiration. Thank you for walking us through this with you. We are certain your trip to cancerville will be a short one. We'll be in Nashville around Halloween- hopefully we'll see you -most likely you'll be the one dressed as wonder woman.
    love- Benton and Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Barbara Keith,

    Your writing reminded me of Maya Angelou's amazing poem below...you both share such confidence, grace and clarity of thought! No wonder Susie, Big Allen, Happy, Little Allen, Lolly and St. Richard are so very proud of you...there is a lot to be proud of!

    You will be in my daily thoughts.
    Fondly,
    Sean McCracken

    PHENOMENAL WOMAN
    by Maya Angelou



    Pretty women wonder where my secret lies
    I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
    But when I start to tell them
    They think I'm telling lies.
    I say,
    It's in the reach of my arms
    The span of my hips,
    The stride of my step,
    The curl of my lips.
    I'm a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me.

    I walk into a room
    Just as cool as you please,
    And to a man,
    The fellows stand or
    Fall down on their knees.
    Then they swarm around me,
    A hive of honey bees.
    I say,
    It's the fire in my eyes
    And the flash of my teeth,
    The swing of my waist,
    And the joy in my feet.
    I'm a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me.

    Men themselves have wondered
    What they see in me.
    They try so much
    But they can't touch
    My inner mystery.
    When I try to show them,
    They say they still can't see.
    I say
    It's in the arch of my back,
    The sun of my smile,
    The ride of my breasts,
    The grace of my style.
    I'm a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me.

    Now you understand
    Just why my head's not bowed.
    I don't shout or jump about
    Or have to talk real loud.
    When you see me passing
    It ought to make you proud.
    I say,
    It's in the click of my heels,
    The bend of my hair,
    The palm of my hand,
    The need of my care,
    'Cause I'm a woman
    Phenomenally.
    Phenomenal woman,
    That's me.

    from And Still I Rise by Maya Angelou
    copyright © 1978 by Maya Angelou.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey BK,

    I'm so glad you're sharing your journey through this blog. Our thoughts and prayers are with you today and over the next several weeks. I know you'll beat this . . . you're such a strong, positive person!

    Please let us know if there's anything we can do for you. I know Matt will be happy to patronize the Wine Chap.

    Kathy McGee

    ReplyDelete
  18. BK (aka BBQ according to Meg)

    You rock!! You are one of the most positive and upbeat people I know. Your strength is inspiring!! Go Girl! Let me know if I can do anything to help. In the meantime I will certainly patronize the Wine Chap. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Matt McGee

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are SO going to beat this in record time. The Ikards are thinking about you. You'll be back to Healthyville soon!

    Margaret Ikard

    ReplyDelete
  20. Barbara Keith,
    I just opened an e-mail from Jill, who sent us (T.R. 84) the news and link to your blog. I just wanted to e-mail to let you know you are very much in my thoughts and prayers, as I know you must be among all our Nakanawa group. I witnessed a friend go through breast cancer over the last ten years, so it rests heavy on my heart to know that you are dealing with this. I pray God holds you up during it all and that you come through it with flying colors. I want to see you at our 70th reunion! I also pray He holds up your husband and precious children (How many of us moms can totally relate to your heart for them?!). Please know that you will be high on my prayer list.
    "We girls are a very special people...to make friends and learn how to love, to make friends and learn to love."
    Grace (Martin) Sarber

    ReplyDelete